Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 10 - Portion Control


I have long been a member of the Clean Plate Club. As a child I did my part to help the starving children of India, Africa and China by eating everything that was put in front of me.

Throwing food away, or allowing a waiter to remove a plate with food on it, continues to be a struggle to this day.

The Mayo clinic has a helpful web page here Enter your age, weight, etc. and follow directions. A pyramid tool pops up. Click print and use the chart and information to plan your meals.

A quick guide for guessing food size:
3 oz serving of meat = deck of playing cards
Large bagel = DVD
Small serving of coleslaw = computer mouse
Cup of rice = tennis ball

A child’s plate with separated sections is an ideal way to keep you within the correct serving sizes. In the plate shown, each of the small divided spaces holds 1/2 cup and the large space holds 1 cup.

Today, I worked in the garden for about an hour, but it was hot and humid. I will do a weight lifting program this afternoon, nothing too heavy. I like the Kathy Smith exercise DVDs. For lunch I ate a sandwich and added to it some shredded zucchini and a tablespoon of salsa for flavor. It was very filling. I made the mistake of eating some potato chips and had more than I intended, but I still counted the calories and will have a salad tonight to make up for the splurge.

Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.