Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 3 – Are all fats bad for you?

According to the American Heart Association, the fats we need to limit are saturated fat and trans fatty acids. Total fat intake should be less than 25-35 percent of your daily calories. Trans fat should be less than one percent of total calories. See more details here

Saturated fat, which comes mostly from animals and some plants, should be eaten in moderation. Hydrogenated fat also needs to be limited (check nutrition labels). Both of these can be responsible for raising cholesterol.

Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, which are found in fish, nets, seeds and oils from plants, are unsaturated fats and are a healthier form of fat.

Saturated Fat:
Beef, veal, lamb, pork, lard, butter, cream, milk, cheese, coconut, coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil.

Unsaturated Fat:
Some fish (salmon, trout, herring), nuts, seeds, oils from plants, avocados, olives, walnuts, olive and sunflower oil.

Day 3
Today I had a setback. I bought tickets for a garden tour in Fort Worth so did quite a bit of walking and this morning I followed a weights exercise video for 15 minutes. The challenge was when we stopped for lunch at La Madeleine. They don't have a nutrition sheet. The server we spoke to said she often has requests for these, but there isn't one available. I chose half a turkey sandwich with a small ceasar salad and small cup of soup. I did later find, by searching the internet, that the calorie content for a cup of tomato basil soup is a whopping 270 calories. I am guessing that the sandwich and even the salad was also high, but had to estimate the calorie content of those. For dinner I'm having brown rice, chicken and asparagus and as I only had half an English muffin and half a banana for breakfast, I'm probably still within my 1,200 calories for today.

Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.