Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 6 - Put Down That Soda

Liquid calories can make up a big portion of your daily intake. Fortunately, my drink of choice is water. Growing up in England, our refrigerator was the size of a small dishwasher and most drinks were served at room temperature. I soon discovered that, because we lived by the main pipes, water from the tap was cool and refreshing in the summer. Of course my second choice is tea.
Tea has many properties and there is a whole web site devoted to the Benefits of Tea. Black tea contains antioxidant properties and is dried more extensively than green tea. The additional drying changes the color and taste. Antioxidant effects in green tea has been shown to lower cholesterol and are effective in countering the harmful effects of free radicals. My favorite green tea is with citrus or lemon. Both Bigelow and Celestial Seasonings have many flavors to choose from.
Today my pedometer only reached 5,700 steps and I didn't get a chance to exercise. On top of that, I ate at a friend's house and we ordered pizza. Normally I would pile pizza on my plate and go back for more, but I looked up the calorie content before hand on the DWLZ web site (a great resource). 1/8th of the Thin 'N CrispyVeggie Lover's pizza is 260 calories. I put just one slice on my plate and along with munching on some broccoli, carrots, and celery I stayed within my 1,200 calories.

Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.