Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 13 - Try Something New

I read an article that said most families have approximately five recipes that they use over and over again. It's easier to cook something you are familiar with and I wonder if this is why so many people frequent fast food places. If you saw Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution TV series you may remember that the children who tried a new food wore stickers that said "I tried something new today." I have a shelf full of recipe books that are never opened and today I dusted one off and "tried something new."



Layered Vegetable Salad

2 cups cabbage (chopped or shredded)
2 cups red cabbage (chopped or shredded)
1 cup iceberg lettuce (chopped or shredded)
1 green pepper (chopped)
5 radishes (sliced thin)
1/4 cup onions (chopped or in rings)
1/2 cup green peas (can use canned or frozen)
2 carrots (shredded)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
4 tbsp. imitation bacon bits
¾ cup lite mayonnaise

Layer each of the vegetables, top with mayonnaise, sprinkle cheese and bacon bits on top. Leave for a few hours before serving. 8 servings, 100 calories per serving.

I kept to under 1,200 calories today, reached over 10,000 steps on the pedometer and did level 1 of the Biggest Loser Boot Camp DVD (20 minutes). I haven't really missed evening snacking, but if I do want something I keep sugar free jello in the fridge which seems to be work.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

looks yummy. I admit I get bored with our five variations for the week and it's tough when someone (Ray) eats no veggies. Way too easy to go processed (i.e. fried and fattening) foods. You're doing great. I mowed today, trimmed hedges, and I'd like to think I sweated off at least 10 pounds. Whew. Keep up the good work.

Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.