Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 14 - Nutrition Bars - Feeling Full

Someone gave me a Full Bar today to try. The instructions on the package are to eat the bar 30 minutes before mealtime with an 8 oz glass of water. The theory is that you will feel full and eat less.The bar is low in fat and has 4g of fiber and 4g of protein. I ate half of a Cocoa Chip FullBar which tasted much like eating Styrofoam with a few unsweetened chocolate chips thrown in. While the bar states it’s 100% natural, I can get the same full feeling by eating unprocessed fruits and vegetables and with a lower sodium content than the 95mg in the FullBar. The nutrition facts for Kelloggs Fiber Plus shows sodium at 55 mg and fiber at 9g and with 40 fewer calories than the FullBar. These taste like a granola bar with a layer of chocolate. Keep one in your purse or put a couple in the car with some bottled water. They are great to tide you over until a meal time when fresh fruit and vegetables are not available and with 9 grams of fiber they are filling. At 70 calories and 4 grams of fiber in a medium sized apple, this might be a better choice along with 8 oz of water.
I didn't exercise today but did reach nearly 9,000 steps on my pedometer and stayed within 1,200 calories. I was tempted to go over my calorie goal tonight and spend the evening snacking, but tomorrow will be two weeks and Friday is my weigh in day so that helped me to stick to the plan.

Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.