Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 20 - The Glycemic Index

Diets such as Sugar Busters relate high insulin levels to foods high in carbohydrates which raise blood sugar levels. High Glycemic Index (GI) foods are thought to increase the body’s release of insulin, and high insulin levels are reported to prevent fat burning. Low GI foods such as skim milk, apples, berries, cantaloupe, white fish, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes and various beans are almost always listed as desirable in healthy diets. Regardless of the reason, it appears to be a general consensus that these low G.I. foods are a healthy way to eat. Read more here.

I didn't wear a pedometer today and chose to take a day off from exercising. I did make healthy choices though and have drastically cut down on bad carbs. I stayed within my 1,200 calorie goal.

Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.