Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 53 - What's in Your Food

A recent article listed some of the ingredients in our favorite snacks and drinks. Just looking at a label can remind you of a science experiment and yet we continue to stuff unwholesome foods into our mouths. Some ingredients, such as the flavor enhancer MSG (monosodium glutamate), are purposefully addicting and so it’s no surprise that we crave more and more of these “manufactured” foods. Even if a product shows “no MSG added”, it may still contain MSG that has been “processed into” the food.

Mondays are always a little difficult for me. I get home from work tired which automatically means I'll have an insatiable appetite. I stopped and picked up some groceries on my way home which topped the pedometer off at over 11,000 and left little energy to do any strenuous exercise. Dinner was a sandwich and broccoli slaw. The broccoli slaw is a bit like coleslaw but made from broccoli and is very crunchy. I added some delicious tasting lime olive oil and tangerine balsamic vinegar that I bought from the Oil Shop in Fredericksburg. These added a tangy fruity taste.

Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.