On the Doctor Oz show last Monday, Dr. Oz stated that a heart attack is the number 1 cause of death in America, but it is 90% preventable.
Risk Factors: High blood pressure, high cholesterol, age, gender (females are more likely to have a heart attack) and smoking
Here are some of his tips.
Keep arteries clean -
1. Add 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil to breakfast (loosens blood vessels)
2. Take two baby aspirin with a full glass of water before going to bed
3. Stretch for ten minutes each morning
Challenge your heart -
Climb stairs for ten minutes a day or take a ten minute brisk walk (get your heart rate up)
Lower blood pressure -
1. Eat three fruits a day
2. Make meat a side dish and vegetables the main course
3. Eat more real foods and less processed. Processed foods contain more salt.
Reduce stress -
Make two social phone calls a week
One social visit a week.