Saturday, July 21, 2012

Naturally Thin

Bethenny Frankel starts off by saying Naturally Thin is not a diet, it's about changing the way you eat and the natural foods chef goes on to give great tips and thought provoking ideas to change your way of thinking. She's not interested in processed food that tastes good for a minute, but does nothing for her health.

Although I still need to lose a few pounds, the book did make me realize that I don't eat as badly as I thought. I rarely drink sodas, which she refers to as chemicals, eat fast food maybe once or twice a year, and do eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. The problem I have is portion control. When I eat chips or something processed I want to eat the whole bag.

Here are some of Bethenny Frankel's tips:

  • Think of food like a bank balance. If you eat sugary foods for breakfast (i.e. pancakes) then have protein and vegetables for lunch to balance it out. If you exercise eat more, if not, eat less.
  • You can have it all jut not all at once.
  • Manga poco ma bene - Eat little, but well.
  • Rather than eating lots and barely tasting it, eat consciously and only have a few bites if something is high in calories/fat.
  • Don't multitask while eating.
  • Don't eat standing up.
  • Use small bowls for cereal, ramekins for ice cream and chips, salad plates instead of dinner plates.
  • Choose food as close to its natural state as possible.
  • When you eat fruit, eat it with protein to offset the sugar i.e. Apple and almonds/peanut butter, berries with Greek yogurt.
This is a book I recommend highly for anyone trying to eat healthy and lose those extra pounds.