Saturday, February 10, 2018

Best Choice is to Buy Local Honey

I hadn't really thought much about honey and the location it comes from until I started watching the "Rotten" series on Netflix.
Apparently it is big business and very competitive. Unless you are purchasing honey collected and distributed by local farms you may be purchasing honey that is a combination of honey from different countries. I noticed on the label on the honey I bought recently it says Internationally Sourced. One of the problems shown in the series is that China, while wanting to undercut the U.S. prices, began to add rice syrup. After complaints by U.S. honey producers and packers, large tariffs were added to honey coming from China. China then shipped it's honey to other Asian countries before being shipped to the U.S. which avoided the high tariffs. Labs are constantly coming up with new tests for the imported honey but cannot guarantee the honey is not adulterated. Also, some overseas honey producers use antibiotics on the bees!
It's probably best to buy local.


Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.