Sunday, May 17, 2020

Destination Walking - Day 17 May Daily Diary


If you are still in shelter-in-place/lockdown because of the Corona Virus, you can still dream.

Open a map, find somewhere you would like to visit, and clip on the pedometer/fitbit.

I had always wanted to visit Charleston. A couple of years ago I took out a map and worked out how many miles Fort Worth to Charleston is. I pinned it on the wall, together with some pictures of Charleston, and calculated how many miles a day I would have to walk in order to get there. I didn’t actually hit the road, I used the steps on my pedometer or on my stationary bike to work out how many miles I had walked or biked each day and marked it on the map. The distance is 1,343 miles. I don’t remember how long it took me to reach 1,343 miles, but I made it.

Take a look at the map, find a goal destination and work out how many steps a day you are willing to walk and how long it should take you. 2,500 steps is approximately one mile.

Make sure you mark your progress on the map. I had copies by my desk, and all over the house to remind me to keep walking.

A few years later I was fortunate to visit Charleston and it made me realize what a distance it was and quite an achievement.



Disclaimer

Any information in this blog should not take the place of medical advice from a professional. I am simply sharing my journey.